[Hdf-forum] Identical HDF5 files according to "h5diff" differ in comparison with "diff" Unix command

Rob Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Aug 5 09:46:09 CDT 2014

On 08/05/2014 09:01 AM, pierre.debuyl at chem.kuleuven.be wrote:

> As a HDF5 user, I would not expect HDF5 files with the same data to match with a
> tool like diff (or the diff tool of git or any other vcs). HDF5 uses more
> advanced techniques with respect to plain ASCII files, which is why we use it.
> As a consequence you should not expect any kind of binary equality between
> files, even between files created similarly.

it may not be common for HDF5 users to request or expect "bit for bit"
equivalence.  It *was* a pretty important way to verify correctness in
climate codes using NetCDF (I suppose bit-for-bit equivalence is now
impossible with HDF5-backed netcdf files?).

==rob

--
Rob Latham
Argonne National Lab, IL USA